5 Best Yoga Poses for Weightlifters

April 15th, 2013 · 10 Comments

Since I’m on the topic of weightlifting, I thought I should take a few minutes to tell you about what I think the absolute best poses for yoga are.  By the way, I do have a 200 hour Yoga Works certificate and do teach 10 hours of yoga a week!  During my training we spent hours on studying the human body, how they work and really analyzing a foot position, leg position in a certain pose.  This training has helped me learn how to get my body where it needs to be in a lift.

Weightlifting requires lots of squats right?  In fact almost every lift we do will end in a squat, so the possibility of having tight hips is likely.  Although, I bet you’d never believe that the top weightlifters in the world are super bendy!  Look at the overhead squat position, a sedentary person who sits in a chair 8 hours a day probably can’t even get into that position!  In fact, I’ve found that even doing a moderately easy yoga class with simple standing poses can unglue some of my tightness. {Although, I still need deep tissue sports massage regularly!!}

This post started as a Top 5 list, however, I’m finding it difficult to narrow down to just five.  For my tight hip body,  it will take hours of daily yoga to unlock all my problem areas and I find I love lifting more than yoga at the moment, so…which poses to do every single day you might ask? Handstands, Back bends, and Twists.  I enjoy teaching yoga to my students and also enjoy the physical benefits of getting to practice it daily.  Best thing to do is to work on your “goats’…the things you stink at.  For me, it’s a fully extended backbend!  And, wow does it feel good when I can do even a partial one.

For more information on yoga, please visit Yoga Journal and seek out a good teacher in your area.  I highly recommend for many reasons!

Tags: Yoga Teacher Training · Yoga, Pilates, Recovery

• 1 Ashley McTucker // Apr 16, 2013 at 6:18 am

A lot of people overlook Yoga as they feel it will not benefit weight loss. This was a great article! We share a lot of the same content in our blogs through our Ambassadors. Yoga is something people should absolutely add into their fitness routine!

• 2 Jennifer // Apr 20, 2013 at 3:37 am

Thanks for Sharing! I am digging into weight lifting lately, using exercises like squats, deadlifts, rows and bench press. I have read through Mark Rippetoes 5×5 Training for Beginners which has helped me to increase my overall strength. However, i was looking for a way to unglue some of my tightness and i might should give yoga a serious try. At the moment i make use of lot’s of supportive stretching exercises. What kind of stretching exercises do you recommend?
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..How to Burn Belly Fat Fast

• 3 Jessica // Apr 22, 2013 at 7:45 am

Thanks for sharing this post. I’m currently taking yoga twice a week and also doing a bit of heavy squat and deadlifting into my regime when it comes to using free weights.

• 4 Josh Carter // Apr 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I love to do yoga at least 3 ties a week. It really does help with all areas of fitness. I am not the most muscular guy in the world, and neither do I want to be, but I feel fit and great after doing yoga. And I agree, back bends, to me do not always feel great when you get into them, but they always feel good after you do them!

• 5 Gary // Apr 25, 2013 at 3:56 am

They have yoga at work for us three times a week at lunch time, but I battle to get “into it” as I find that I have work on my mind and what I need to do after lunch. However I can see the benefits of yoga and think I should probably do it either early morning or after work. Thanks for the article
    Gary´s last blog post ..Eye Exercises

• 6 Pat // Apr 26, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Hmm, you’re right. I certainly wouldn’t have associated yoga with weight lifting. I wouldn’t have used them in the same sentence either but after this I do see the benefits.

A question – is yoga good for toning and fitness? I am guessing I would still need to do cardio exercise e.g. spinning, as well as some sort of resistance work….or would I? and if so, how much?
    Pat´s last blog post ..7 Unique Weight Loss Tips

• 7 Gaz // Apr 28, 2013 at 3:38 am

Thanks for sharing this post. I have recently started gym again and know I have to include weight training as part of that regime.

I have suffered a bit with lower back pain previously, so reading this inspires me to incorporate yoga into my schedule. Thankfully, my gym does offer yoga (and pilates) as a class so I think I will be adding my name to the class… perhaps both classes as I believe pilates to be equally good to correct and strengthen posture and core. Thank you.
    Gaz´s last blog post ..Interesting facts about the ear

• 8 All Girl Massage // May 31, 2014 at 1:17 am

Quality articles or reviews is the important to be a focus for the users to pay a
    quick visit the website, that’s what this site is providing.
    All Girl Massage´s last blog post ..All Girl Massage

• 9 live model // Jun 5, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Substrate typically consists of pea gravel, which is available in coarse, medium, and fine
    grades. They encourage women to actively participate in their birthing process.
    Your hard wiring is how you will naturally execute things,
    how you make decisions as well as your communication style and needs.
    live model´s last blog post ..live model

• 10 home videos // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:58 pm

As a strong home movie maker, i – Movie tries
    its best to satisfy users personalized demands.
    There are many advantages of using self help tools on self protection. Consider the popularity of “America’s funniest home videos” show.
    home videos´s last blog post ..home videos