Fit Mom's Blog header image 1

Product Review: FRS Healthy Energy Drink

June 9th, 2009 · 10 Comments

I’m sure you’ve all seen Lance Armstrong on the front page of Yahoo promoting FRS, right? At least, that’s how I heard about it. And, if your a cyclist, you know who Lance Armstrong is- even if you are not- you should know who Lance is. He’s won the Tour de France seven times, etc, etc….If Lance is willing to put his name on it, then, it must be a good thing, right? The video clip of him talking about FRS is pretty powerful, as well.

So, what is FRS?

FRS stands for Free Radical Scavenger- which is another word for antioxidant. The more antioxidants there are in your body, the better your body will be able to defend itself . “A 1.5 ounce serving of the Low Cal Orange will offer you a healthy dose of Quercetin- which you wouldn’t be able to duplicate on your own- unless you eat 40 apples in one sitting.” FRS recommends 1-2 servings per day as part of a regular healthy diet and for athletes to drink it 30-60 minutes before exercise.

41cnjj32otl_aa280_pibundle-1topright00_aa280_sh20_

My favorite was the FRS Low Cal Orange. 2 ounces of the concentrate plus 6 ounces of water tastes like orange juice with no pulp. There is caffeine in this as well- equivalent to 1/3 cup of coffee. The bottle states that “caffeine is used as a metabolic enhancer to help the body absorb other key nutrients in the FRS formula.” My kids and I all drank it in the morning and enjoyed it. Yes, it has caffeine in it and I gave it to my kids and I didn’t notice any difference in their usual active behaviors.

Ingredients include: water, white grape juice concentrate, Inulin, Orange Juice Concentrate, Citric Acid, Natural Orange Flavor, Quercetin, Ascorbic Acid, Locust Bean Gum (what’s that?), Gum Arabic, Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E), Green Tea Leaf Extract, Sucralose, Caffeine, Niacinamide (B3), Natural Lemon Flavor, Cyanocobalamin (B12), Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, and Riboflavin.

The Low Cal Orange will yield 16 servings for $20 and can be found locally by clicking here or online.

What’s my opinion?

It definitely tastes good. It was easy to mix, convenient, and a nice change from our usual choices. It could be a great way to take in more vitamins than you might get otherwise…But, I’m just not sure I’d buy it regularly. Not sure if the cost is the issue or the questions; could my body absorb all those wonderful vitamins each time I drank it or is it really healthy for you? Wouldn’t eating clean- such as fruits and vegetables and healthy sugars be as powerful? Healthy energy drinks are all the rage these days- but- is it really necessary? I just don’t know.

If you have an opinion, please feel free to share it!

Related Posts

Tags: Nutrition

• 1 RunToFinish // Jun 9, 2009 at 9:01 pm

hmmm I don’t know, I usually don’t go for energy drinks… though I have heard the benefits of caffeine for athletes so maybe i should check it out. I think usually they are too sweet or kinda weird tasting for me… uh says the girl who talked about coconut water today

RunToFinishs last blog post..Coconut Water and Tahini

• 2 ttfn300 // Jun 11, 2009 at 11:50 pm

i like frs, but i’m not sure if i notice all the benefits. maybe b/c i use it when i remember… and that’s not every day :) it has been making an appearance in my green smoothies tho! i like the chews, as they’re pretty easily digested for me before a run (i have trouble eating too soon before a run)
    ttfn300´s last blog ..Mexican SlawMy ComLuv Profile

• 3 Tara // Oct 26, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Scam! Do not use this product! Will make you sick! All this company wants is your hard earned money! So much for a “free” trial. They automatically start charging it every 2 weeks!

• 4 isbbt // Dec 2, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Don’t use it. Got more and more nauseous through a week of use until I began vomiting. I am 30 years old, take no medications, and have a balanced diet with regular exercise.

• 5 Brando // Dec 19, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Yes, FRS charges you automatically – but, HELLO!, they were upfront about this. This is a common business model/tactic these days. Only those with a delusional idea of what a ‘free offer’ is would think this is a scam. But for those who are more savvy and aware of the way the world works today, it is nothing of the sort.

I called immediately after I received my free trial in order to obviate the automatic charges and spoke with someone who was very helpful. I told him I didn’t like having any automatic charges on my credit card and he was very understanding and quite willing to cancel my information.

However, having used FRS now, I no longer drink coffee and feel great. More energized for workouts and research.

• 6 Danny // Dec 31, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I really have nothing to say about it.. I never tried it. Maybe one of these days I will!

• 7 Kelly // Jan 11, 2010 at 6:23 pm

This is not a scam and it will not make you sick. I have been using it for 2 weeks now and love it. It gives me the energy I need to push through workouts and the taste is great. If you don’t like the automatic charges, cancel them! Hello? Sorry, but I hate people who are negative just to be negative.

• 8 FitMom // Jan 12, 2010 at 12:21 am

Who’s being negative?! In my review, I said I liked it, but, that I “don’t know” about signing myself up for a daily dose. It may be completely awesome for your body and it may help your workouts- that is a completely subjective thing.
    Everyone here has left their honest opinion.
    FitMom´s last blog ..Why I never eat before a workout! My ComLuv Profile

• 9 “Snake Oil in Your Snacks” // Jul 14, 2010 at 9:31 pm

[...] good for your health.  Two of the products mentioned are two that I’ve written about here- FRS Energy Drink and the Lifeway Probugs Yogurt for kids. Basically, food companies are repackaging old products with [...]

• 10 Mango // Aug 5, 2010 at 10:55 am

Mysore Fruit Products Ltd. (MFPL) is manufacturers & exporters of a various fruits products like Mango pulp, Banana pulp and Guava pulp in India.for more details visit http://www.mysorefruits.com/