Fit Mom's Blog header image 1

Giving It a Tri

April 29th, 2009 · 15 Comments

Today’s guest post is written by Mama Likes. She has a hilarious blog and is an enthusiastic, athletic mother of two boys. Here to share about her upcoming triathlon plan! You totally can do it!

When Fit Mommy put the invite out for guest writers, I thought my foray into the world of triathlons might make a good series. Especially since I have no idea what I’m doing. It could be quite amusing. Not to mention the plethora of puns that are possible for post titles (say that five times fast!).

I’m a mom of two boys, ages 5 and 9. We live in Northern New Jersey and the event I’m signed up for is part of the Trek Women series on Long Island. Even though I don’t work (for money) full time, trying to find time for exercise can be tricky and with kids spring sports it’s gotten even more complicated lately. My Busy Body book is working overtime right now! I have a feeling I’m going to have to give up some sleep to get workouts done before the rest of the family wakes up.

So why am I doing this? Good question. I’m turning 40 in October. The triathlon I’m doing is in mid September. I think that might have just a teensy, weensy, little bit to do with it (this year’s mantra, “never surrender”). I am fit, but not fit like a triathlete is fit. I’m more of a gym rat. The cycling part of the event is the only part I feel even remotely comfortable with. I spin two to three times a week and just became certified to teach. However, I know that riding outside is a completely different animal. I rode my new bike home from the auto body repair shop today (all of a half mile) and was winded. Uh oh.

Ever since I was in elementary school, I’ve had an aversion to running. I have a bit of exercise-induced asthma and have really negative memories of every jog-a-thon and running event I had to participate in. Much of what I need to overcome to do this event is mental. I need to believe that I can do it. I’m not there yet. This tri is a sprint distance (the shortest kind of tri) so everyone says “it’s just a 5k” or “it’s only a half mile swim” but I still psyche myself out. I was on vacation recently and tried to swim laps. Doing the crawl, I could do two without stopping. Breaststroke, four. Uh oh, again.

I know that to train adequately I need to run, bike and swim each week and I have four months. Here’s my progress for week one.

Week of 4/20

Monday: Did yoga

Tuesday: Did 35 minutes of spinning because I hit a parked car right before class

Wednesday: Nada

Thursday: Did 15 minutes of spinning to warm up before 30 minutes of weight training

Friday: Ran 3 miles on the treadmill

Weekend: Total loser

Week of 4/27

Monday: Rode bike home from auto body shop

Icing ankle from running 3 miles on the treadmill Friday

E-mailed someone about swimming lessons

Not exactly off to an impressive start am I? That’s part of the reason I wanted to write about this, for extra motivation and support. If anyone has any tips for doing your first tri, I’m all ears. My goal for the tri is really simple: I want to complete each event without stopping to walk, rest at the wall, etc. I have no grandiose goals of running 7 minute miles or swimming like Dara Torres. Just no stopping, that’s all I ask. We’ll see how it goes. In the meantime:

Never surrender!

Thanks MamaLikey for this great post! I also wanted to share with you all some posts I’ve written about Multisport Training!

Multisport Training Tips: Part 1

Multisport Training Training (The clothing edition)

Multisport Training Tips: Part 3

Related Posts

Tags: Cycling, cycling apparel, accessories · Racing, Events,

• 1 Shannon // Apr 29, 2009 at 10:53 am

Awesome Article!(I need to get mine going)

Shannons last blog post..Are You Busy Too?

• 2 christy // Apr 29, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Oh wow – I am so glad you’re posting on this topic. I’m turning 35 this year and have been thinking about doing the same thing. But I’m not nearly in good shape yet, so I don’t know what would be a reasonable expectation…this year? Next? I’m not sure. I would want to a sprint distance one too, and my goal would just be to finish. Period. Like when I’ve run 5ks and one 10k, my goal was always just to finish, and I did. I’m in south jersey – I’m going to try to find the link to your event now! I hope your ankle heals quickly. I’m most comfortable in the water, followed by running, and then would dread the cycling..

christys last blog post..In real life

• 3 feener // Apr 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm

i too am doing my first tri, the danskin one in NJ in sept !! i am ok with running, not so bad at bike, but i swam for the first time last night and holy hell i need help !!

feeners last blog post..Every thing is better in the warm weather

• 4 mamalikeyou // Apr 29, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Go Jersey girls! Here’s the link to the tri http://www.trekwomenstriathlonseries.com/new_york.html feener – I was going to do the Danskin but it filled up so fast!

I just went back and read fitmommy’s multisport training tips. Fantastic info!

mamalikeyous last blog post..I give up

• 5 Jonathan Aluzas // Apr 29, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I think the great thing about organized events like this is that it gives you something tangible and specific to work towards. Sometimes, without a specific objective (beyond “looking better”) exercising is no more enjoyable than a teeth cleaning. So, making a commitment to an event is a great way to provide structure and purpose for your workouts.

Good luck and great topic.

Jonathan Aluzass last blog post..Tape Worms and The End of the World

• 6 Sage // Apr 29, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Mama, go get ‘em! You’ll love it.

A friend and I wrote a plan for our local women-only race–you might find a few tips there, or be able to adapt the plan to suit your training: http://www.sagerountree.com/sagetree/Coaching/Training.html

Good luck!
    —Sage

• 7 ttfn300 // Apr 29, 2009 at 5:54 pm

aah, i’ve so been meaning to write a post about doing my first tri… gotta get on that!!

ttfn300s last blog post..Ramps!

• 8 Adrienne Gordon // Apr 30, 2009 at 10:50 am

I don;t currently do yoga, love to get abck into it.

• 9 Fitarella // Apr 30, 2009 at 4:54 pm

That’s awesome, keep up the great work!!

Fitarellas last blog post..Just get out the door!

• 10 Sara Cox Landolt // Apr 30, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Hi there! I’m a mom of 3 boys and triathlete. I write encouragement for triathletes on my blog. You’ll find race-day tips and more there.

Also, check out active.com’s triathlon community. I’m a volunteer moderator there. You’ll find many great discussion, articles, videos + more.

Best to you & your training!
    Sara

• 11 Angela // May 3, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Great post it is always wonderful to see someone undertake the challenge of a triathalon. It would be nice to have a followup post to let us know how you are doing or did.

• 12 Tri-ing My Patience // Jun 10, 2009 at 1:56 pm

[...] you read my first post, you know that swimming is my weakest link. I did start swim lessons a little over a month ago (an [...]

• 13 Sink or Swim? // Aug 3, 2009 at 1:46 pm

[...] Giving it a Try [...]

• 14 Top ten reasons to do a triathlon | Ironman by 40! // Aug 15, 2009 at 8:57 am

[...] Giving It a Tri (fitnessformommies.net) [...]

• 15 Elijah Nitcher // May 19, 2011 at 9:59 am

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks