David Kirsch’s Ultimate New York Body Plan

February 11th, 2009 · 21 Comments

(Image Taken from Heidi’s website)

Years ago, I heard Heidi Klum in an interview answering the question, “how do you stay so slim?” and her answer was “eat right and exercise”. That’s it.  She said it wasn’t easy, and that she really doesn’t enjoy exercise very much but she is willing to do it because of her modeling career.  David Kirsch is her trainer in New York and she says she regularly works out with him.

How many of you have heard of David Kirsch?  I (live under a rock) had never heard of him until I received a press release about his new book, the Ultimate New York Body Plan.  I love reading these types of books because I always learn new things.

Kirsch wrote this book with some of his clients in mind, who, really wanted to lose a lot of weight fast.  He has another book called Sound Mind, Sound Body that is more of a six week plan (anybody read?)- this one is strictly a TWO WEEK PLAN.  One and a half hours of exercise per day, followed by a strict diet of mostly protein and veggies.  No bread, no pasta, no rice, no carrots, no sweet potatos,  no fruits, no alcohol, no dairy, no sugar, no egg yolks.  Gee, if I dropped all those foods, I probably would lose ten pounds too.  This plan is for somebody who NEEDS something to get them to do this.  Such as a wedding, a family reunion, a high school reunion, a photo shoot.

The Training Portion

His program, I believe is designed more for women than men, but, I read some reviews of men who followed the program.  They just modified it with extra weights.   His plan is based on his philosophy that some women want to look sexy and sculpted but not bulky.  So, his entire weight circuit uses a medicine ball, light hand weights and a stability ball.   The book comes with a pull-out poster for all of his exercises.  There is a Cardio Sculpting Routine, an abs and core toning routine,  and a legs and butt routine.  Day 1 is the cardio sculpting routine plus 45 minutes of additional cardio.  For the cardio portion, he says, it must be heart pumping such as the gauntlet.  No intervals are required- just 45 minutes every single day.

The Nutrition Portion

Day 2 calls for an AM Protein Shake, Spinach and Brocoli Egg White Frittata and Turkey Sausage, Asian BBQ Chicken Kabob with Thai Salsa, Tuna Salad and Broccoli, Protein Shake or a Salmon Burger with Spinach for dinner.   There are at least 25 recipes included in this section.  It doesn’t look like you’d be starving yourself- just depriving yourself of anything fun at all.  And he says if you fall of the wagon – by eating a cookie – then you must punish yourself with 30 minutes of additional cardio.  The recipes are inventive and reasonable.  For sure, I’d try the Salmon Burgers or the Tuna Salad.  In fact, I was impressed with the number of creative recipes included in this book.

What’s your opinion?

I have mixed feelings on this plan for several reasons.  This kind of strict diet would lead me straight to the pantry for something to cheat on daily and I’m quite certain that I would not go two weeks without any sugar.  I liked some of the cardio sculpting exercises which I can incorporate into my current plan.  I also loved some of the more challenging stability ball or medicine ball exercises- but there are like 40 exercises!  For the abs and core, there are only 8 and 14 for the legs and butt.  That is too many in my humble opinion.  As a mom, just looking at this list overwelms me.  Since this is Fitness for Mommies, I have to put it out there that I don’t think this plan as written would be easy to fit into your daily life.   Also, I like lifting heavy.  I like having strong muscles.  I’m not after the super model lean look.  Who is?  However, what I can take away from this book are the concepts – to reduce the amounts of bread, pasta, rice, whole grains that I eat, reduce the number of yolks I put in my frittata’s, swap out one iced coffee for green tea…And, add some of the exercises into my routine -but 45 minutes TOTAL is generally what I give myself in the mornings before work – so, one or two per day, maybe.

How many of you would be willing to follow this plan?  Heard of David Kirsch? Followed the modeling careers of Liv Tyler or Linda Evangilista? Curious as to YOUR opinion.

Find cheap baseball bats and accessories from the top brands in baseball.

Tags: Book Reviews · Fantastic workouts · health and fitness · Questions for Readers · workout apparel

• 1 ttfn300 // Feb 11, 2009 at 1:31 pm

promoting punishing yourself for eating a cookie? umm, this screams DANGER, no?

• 2 Toni // Feb 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I could not follow this plan, as soon as I tell myself I can’t eat something that is all I think about. I would love to try some exercises though, I am always looking for new moves.

• 3 Fit Mommy // Feb 11, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Yes. But it’s a two week plan designed to get you in the best shape of your life. Then you can go back to a modified program.

• 4 Fit Mommy // Feb 11, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Me too.

• 5 Terry // Feb 12, 2009 at 2:54 am

I’ve looked at his site many times. It’s interesting but not sure I could survive the first two weeks.

• 6 Fit Mommy // Feb 12, 2009 at 3:34 am

He has other plans that don’t look as strenuous as this one!

• 7 Tiffany // Feb 12, 2009 at 5:22 pm

There is no way I could stick to this routine. Maybe if I did I could lose these last 6 or 7 post baby pounds but what happens after the 2 weeks – I would go back to my regular eating habits and gain the weight back.

• 8 Amanda // Feb 12, 2009 at 7:02 pm

um I’m not a mom and that thing scares me.. what no bread, clearly not a runner

• 9 Zuzel // Mar 18, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Well Today, 3/18, I started his 48hr detox lemonaid, will let you know how it goes. It doesn’t taste bad at all. Basically it’s the taste of homemade lemonade (WITH NO SUGAR) and it has “real” maple syrup in it but the only time you feel that is the after-taste. It’s a very rigorous diet, like it says its to get you in the best shape of your life in just 2 weeks!

• 10 Kate // Apr 4, 2009 at 7:58 pm

As a fitness professional, I have to say that I am a bit weary about this plan. Of course you will loose a lot because you have taken out so many food groups, but I have concerns about the safely and wonder the reasoning. I believe it helps encourage the nasty diet trend instead of just encouraging and teaching healthy eating.

Kates last blog post..Nutrition 411- Do you understand Food Labels?

• 11 David Kirsch Q & A // Apr 12, 2009 at 4:26 am

[...] my recent review of his book, The Ultimate Total Body Makeover, I was left with lots of questions on how to use his plan in a more reasonable way- I’m not [...]

• 12 3 More DVD’s to Giveaway! // May 10, 2009 at 1:39 pm

[...] All his workouts that were described in his book are here plus additional upper and lower body workouts.  All workouts require a Stability Ball and handweights.  {Link to my book review of the David’s Ultimate NY Body Plan here.} [...]

• 13 keith bell // Jul 5, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I did this 14 day program about 5 years ago. I lost 14 pounds in fourteen days and (when it was over) felt amazing. It is extreme there is no doubt about that. It’s upside is that it makes you go cold turkey on so many of the things that trip you up in health. I am a sugar addict. I mean it, I’m not exaggerating, and when I was done with the program, my mind was calmer and I had no cravings for bad food. But as always happens, five years later I am on a sugar roller coaster eating terribly unhealthy. I run almost everyday and do Yoga, (I’m one of those people that actually enjoys physical activity most of the time) however, I just never seem to be able to get this nutrition thing right. I’m just too damn busy, I’m too tired from my job and demands of daily life to shop and prepare healthy meals, not to mention the cost. If I had an extra $1500 a month and a personal chef I would love to eat healthy, but its just so hard, I feel like i’m just trying to get the right mix of sugar and caffiene to get through the tasks i have to do every day.

• 14 Ciara // Feb 1, 2011 at 11:55 am

Totally amazing guy! I did the detox plan and lost 8 pounds and have lost another 3.5 this week doing the NY Ultimate Plan – amazing. Easy to do but lots of exercise, really a lot and find it difficult to fit into a hectic schedule!http://www.dear-david-kirsch.blogspot.com/

• 15 Ginger // Mar 7, 2013 at 8:00 am

I’m on day 11 of this program and have lost 10 pounds….and I am not over weight so It’s even harder for those who have 15 or less to lose! I agree with Keith above that it helps you realize you don’t NEED alcohol every day, or sugar, or coffee. It resets your mind and if you really want to lose it bad enough, you can do 2 weeks. It’s just TWO weeks out of your life which isn’t bad. I haven’t been following the exercise plan but I workout 5 days a week for at least 45 mins anyways. I bought his other book years ago and follow it as far as the glycemic index. Very helpful.

• 16 Robert C. // Jul 2, 2013 at 6:07 am

To Kate, the fitness professional, I’m not sure how you can classify this as a “nasty diet” or question its safety. Basically it requires clean eating, eliminating processed foods or starchy carbs, saturated fats (not all fats, for instance olive oil and almonds, which contain healthy fats, are acceptable and encouraged), alcohol, sugar. A clean diet such as that is followed by many fitness professionals and bodybuilders alike. Basically lean protein, lots of veggies, and healthy fats (in moderation). It’s a drastic change from most Americans’ high saturated fat and processed foods laden diets. But a healthy option nonetheless.

• 17 Robert C. // Jul 2, 2013 at 6:10 am

And to add, you are not forced to drastically cut calories by eliminating those foods (if you can call them that). You may have the same caloric deficit as any plan you may consider “healthy” in your eyes. You just get your calories from lean proteins, veggies, and healthy fats. So nothing unsafe about it, not sure what that comment was based on.

• 18 Cindy // Jul 2, 2013 at 6:16 am

I’ve done this diet twice. The first time was after I had a baby, she was about 3 months old. The other poster was right, it takes a lot of time to shop for and prepare healthy foods. The planning part is often overlooked in terms of importance, and is often why fitness goals are unmet. You must plan your meals out in advance, so you know exactly what you are eating and when. If not, you may fall prey to opening the refrigerator and eating whatever is closest and quickest! If you have a book or recipe folder full of healthy recipes, you can plan out your meals for say 3, 5, or 7 days in advance. Write them down and then shop for what you need for those days. Cook ahead of time and freeze if you want to. It can be done, it just takes PLANNING.

• 19 Cindy // Jul 2, 2013 at 6:18 am

And also, I’m not a fan of “cooking” so the slow-cooker is my friend. Easy meals to make are his turkey chili and just plain ol’ slow cooked chicken with veggies, throw in crock pot. Use chicken broth for the liquid (no gravy!)

• 20 Each kid would like to have a tricycle // May 4, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this site needs far more
    attention. I’ll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the
    advice!
    Each kid would like to have a tricycle´s last blog post ..Each kid would like to have a tricycle

• 21 Buy Twitter Followers // Aug 20, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Excellent web site. A lot of helpful information here.
    I am sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious.

And naturally, thanks in your effort!
    Buy Twitter Followers´s last blog post ..Buy Twitter Followers