Cross Country Skiing: A photo essay

December 22nd, 2008 · 8 Comments

My children couldn’t wait to get to the snow to go skiing! We had them dressed and ready to jump out of the car yesterday- assuming it would take one hour to get to the ski area..one HUGE problem was that every family in Southern California had the exact same idea. It took us 2.5 hours hours to go what normally takes one. Very trying start to our 24 hour vacation!!! Anyway, once we got there we were THRILLED to see FIVE cars in the parking lot. Every other “want to see the snow” family just pulls over to the side of the road (parking lot or NOT- they don’t care) to play in the dirty snow.

Cross Country Skiing is NOT popular, for some crazy reason. There is a major mountain for downhill skiing right across the street but it was empty too! Everybody else wanted to spend another 1.5 hours in the car to ski on the bigger, higher up mountains!  We aren’t- in fact the fewer people there are – the better!  We enjoy cross country for the simple facts that it is CHEAPER ($60 for the whole family to ski with rentals), it is an excellent workout, and, even better, we can just throw ski’s on our kids’ and they can just GO. No need to get a lesson on how to downhill.  Two hours of cross country skiing can burn upwards of 1400 calories! And there aren’t calculations for picking your kid up 500 times!

Here are some photos from our two days of cross country skiing and a link to last year’s photos!

He did this a LOT!! With a bit of drama…

The good news is that they can both ski!  It took hubby and I most of the day to figure out what works best with our youngest.  He can ski absolutely perfectly at 1 mile an hour!  But, if he held our hand, he could keep a speed that was even with his brother.   They and we all had a great time.   Paul and I each took a turn on a nice long loop of at least thirty minutes of serious a** kicking– up hill skiing.   And, I should add that it wasn’t all smiles,  there were tears and a LOT of falling on the kids’ part but they still had a blast.

Tags: Fantastic workouts

• 1 MizFit // Dec 22, 2008 at 3:46 pm

so fun.
    I down hill skied once back in the day (read early teens) and still wanna try cross country.
    I think Im too fearful of breaking a hip to downhill now.

MizFits last blog post..Kitchen exercise. (kitchen’ercize? no? ok. it was worth a shot.)

• 2 Tiffany // Dec 22, 2008 at 3:53 pm

What fun. I can’t wait until my kids are big enough to go. When we lived in Crested Butte (about 30 minutes from Gunnison) and before kids, Joe and I would held out a lot. Crested Butte does have a down hill ski area but I like escaping the crowds and people for the quite and solitude of the backcountry. My co-worker and I are talking about heading out this weekend.

Tiffanys last blog post..Facebook

• 3 Kara from MamaSweat // Dec 22, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Love XC too. I’m very lucky to live within 10 minutes of two ski areas and a city with one of the few urban xc races. That said, I don’t ski much. I vow to more every season. Too pregnant to do this year. But next year…

Kara from MamaSweats last blog post..Unexpected Outcomes, Part II

• 4 Amanda // Dec 22, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Adorable!! I don’t know if I could cross ski here, but I am going to try snow shoeing if possible

Amandas last blog post..Road ID Discount

• 5 Fitarella // Dec 22, 2008 at 10:45 pm

that looks sooo fun! I’ve always wanted to learn to ski!!

Fitarellas last blog post..Blessings to all!!!

• 6 bobbi // Dec 24, 2008 at 5:26 am

awww how cute are you guys!!!

bobbis last blog post..This Little Elf is READY!

• 7 a3542920 // Oct 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I’ve said that least 3542920 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

• 8 JoannaL // Dec 20, 2013 at 1:59 am

Hello there, Cool publish. You will find there’s difficulty with all your web page throughout web internet explorer, would certainly check that? For example on the other hand would be the marketplace chief along with a huge part of others will leave out your current superb publishing for that reason dilemma.