The benefits of Hemp Milk

November 6th, 2008 · 6 Comments

How many of you have heard about Hemp Milk?

Hemp Milk and Soy Milk are similar in that they are both vegan, non diary options. But, that’s pretty much where the similarities end. Recently, I wrote about Soy milk here. Living Harvest offers Unsweetened, Sweetened Vanilla, Chocolate and Original Flavors.

The benefits of this hemp milk includes:

(from the website)

* 800 mg Omega 3-with SDA
* 2600 mg Omega 6 with GLA

*All 10 Essential Amino Acids

*4 grams of Digestible Protein

*Vitamin A, B12, D, E, Riboflavin and Folic Acid

*Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, and Iron

*40% of Daily Value of Calcium

As far as my family is concerned, the kids loved the Hemp Milk. My youngest in particular loved the Vanilla Hemp Milk. They don’t seem to care if it’s cow’s milk, Almond milk, or Hemp Milk. They love it all (except Soy Milk for some reason). And, I quote, “Hemp Milk, Hemp Milk, Hemp Milk”! The taste by itself for me is hard to get used to but I’m all for using it in recipes such as oatmeal or smoothies. I have been using 1 – 2 cups of Hemp Milk when cooking our Oatmeal daily and it has given the oatmeal a smoother, richer taste that we all love. Hubby could not taste a difference in the oatmeal. I love that you get all that extra Omega 3 and 6 when using Hemp Milk instead of Cow’s Milk.

From all that I’ve read on the Living Harvest website, this really seems like a good product. There is also a lot of science to back up the data on the benefits of Hemp and to my eye (not a nutritionist), I think Hemp Milk is a good choice. Or at least to be used weekly so that we can get the Omega 3 and Omega 6 benefits without taking a vitamin. Living Harvest is sold in my local health food store for $3.99 for a 32 ounce carton and on the website for $4.99.

What’s your opinion- would you try Hemp Milk? Thoughts, suggestions and comments welcome!

Tags: Nutrition

• 1 bobbi // Nov 6, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I love it, it’s great in shakes,cereal,oats, whatever…it brings great flavor and is full of great protiens!

• 2 Dr. J // Nov 6, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Hemp is way underutilized in our society due to the unfounded fears from marijuana. As a doctor, I support medical uses as well as the numerous functional uses of hemp products.

Dr. Js last blog post..Nibbles: Drug more powerful than resveratrol, sleep apnea sufferers eat more calories, and family meals and weight gain

• 3 Fit Mommy // Nov 6, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Thank you, Dr. J for your input. I am no nutritionist, but I thought that Hemp Milk and even Hemp protein would be good choices for everybody!

• 4 masenka // Nov 13, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Very interesting! I didn’t know hemp milk existed until I read it here. Hemp seems to be healthy as long as you don’t smoke it. I will check out the local health store here, but so far they only have hemp seeds and oil.

masenkas last blog post..Improve your short term memory

• 5 dakota // Aug 28, 2009 at 1:24 am

Being allergic to soy, milk, nuts, AND having oral allergy syndrome (to vegetables and fruit) hemp milk is my saviour! it’s delicious, too. please, everyone try it! :]
    .-= dakota´s last blog ..P2060001 =-.

• 6 Jay // Sep 13, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I saw it for the first time in the health food store and thought why not try it? Personally I love cows milk, almond milk and now the hemp milk!! I couldnt believe the taste, I mix it with ice cubes and the superfoodsDaily Power Shake by balanced planets and I think it is just awesome! I will now try it with oatmeal to see the difference! :D