Plank: How many ways can you hold it?

September 17th, 2008 · 13 Comments

Plank pose is one of the most beneficial core exercises you can do for your body. It’s simple, efficient and requires no equipment. One minute in the plank and you’ve worked your CORE for the day.

Best time to do it?

Bathtime, if you have young children. Another great time is right before dinner. Get everybody down on the carpet and see who can hold it the longest. One commercial is all it would take!

There is tons of ways to modify the plank to make it easier or harder. I think the most important part of the pose is to MAKE SURE YOUR TUMMY IS SUCKED IN. Inappropriate position can lead to low back pain. For me, it’s also helpful to have the stopwatch in my hand so you can watch the time and breath! Breathing deeply in through the nose and out through the nose. This type of intense concentration can really improve your ability to focus on long runs and rides. It’s a mental challenge as well as a physical one. One in which I’d prefer to do over the Push-Up Challenge.

Variations for the plank:

Side Plank: Check out this link! It’s amazing. Show’s all the body stripped down to muscles and shows each and every muscle being worked.

Full Plank

One leg lifted Plank

Reverse Plank

Plank on the Stability Ball

Plank with one leg bent underneath your body

One arm Plank

The plank is one massively effective arm/whole body core work which should be done by all of you! An alternative when teaching young children is to get them in plank pose and give them a ball. Objective is to pass the ball between their hands to the other players hands. Two points if it goes straight through! Kids love the challenge.

So how long can you HOLD it? Personally, I’m working on 1 minute.

Sage Roundtree also has a fantastic FREE 5 minute CORE and More podcast you can check out here.

Here is a great video on advance techniques for doing the plank:

Tags: Fantastic workouts

• 1 Lance // Sep 17, 2008 at 3:25 am

The plank – it looks so easy! But looks can be deceiving…

A couple of years ago (when I was doing them more regularly) I was up to around 1.5 minutes. Currently, I’m at about 45 seconds. And it really hurts by the end! A minute is impressive – awesome job!!

Lances last blog post..The Impact We Have On Others

• 2 Fit Mommy // Sep 17, 2008 at 3:48 am

Thanks. I am working on a minute. Still need lots of breaks to get to that minute. My low back doesn’t like it too much, so I practice a lot!

• 3 Running Knitter // Sep 17, 2008 at 4:41 am

I love planks. My record is a little less than 2 minutes…but for most of the time, i can hold on for about a minute. :)

Running Knitters last blog post..14 Miles, an ice bath, and a cowl

• 4 MizFit // Sep 17, 2008 at 11:50 am

these are so my gift!

**not**

need to work on them. a lot :)

and did a facetime where I show how much I sucketh as we all need a good laugh sometimes.

THANKS for the prodding.
    Im off to do em and drag my toddler along for the ride…

MizFits last blog post..Viewer Mail. Subtitle: That depends on what your definition of average is.

• 5 How many kinds of Planks can you do? at S.W.A.T // Sep 17, 2008 at 1:17 pm

[...] post over at Fitness for Mommies on the different kinds of planks and ideas for getting them in each [...]

• 6 The Plank Challenge: Interested? – Mundane Details // Sep 17, 2008 at 2:28 pm

[...] I am issuing a challenge.  Do you know what a Plank exercise is?  If so, great. If not, READ HERE about what it is and the ways you can do [...]

• 7 PhysicalFitnet // Sep 17, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Hi – yup planks are great. Here are a variety plank exercises demonstrated by trainers. http://www.physicalfitnet.com/exercise_video_browse_by/base_movement-plank.aspx

Also, check out this VideoShare feature where you can easily include single videos or a group of related videos within your post.

• 8 Kathleen // Sep 17, 2008 at 2:58 pm

I have virtually all my clients doing the plank, and I plank with them. When we’re “planking” I joke, and talk and remind them constantly to tighten their abs and draw their navel to their spine. I say “if you lower back starts hurting, tighten your abs harder.” Directly from “being plankton” we go into a beautiful stretch: legs are tucked underneath, rear is nearly resting on heels, arms are outstretched in front on the floor–reaching far as you can in front. Your back will love this! Because I plank so often, I can plank 3+ min. I haven’t tried to see how long I can go in a long time.

• 9 Zandria // Sep 17, 2008 at 3:34 pm

The plank is kind of my nemesis because I don’t really enjoy holding one position for so long. But I do it anyway! :)

• 10 Kathleen Nemargut // Sep 18, 2008 at 5:28 am

I love torturing my clients with planks! I can hold mine (alternating) for 3.5 minutes. Staying solid I always get soo board ( I hate standing , or planking, still).

I have gotten my mom up to 3 minutes!

• 11 Sue // Sep 18, 2008 at 6:01 am

That video sees incredibly hard…but looks so easy on the other hand. I would be very careful about holding this for to long with lower back pain…

Sues last blog post..Can You Do Planks?

• 12 jim // Oct 25, 2009 at 5:22 pm

started off on the 21/08 doing 40 secs now by going up a bit every night 25/10 2m20s

• 13 Andrea // Sep 29, 2010 at 5:51 pm

As of now I am up to 2 minutes and 39 seconds on the regular plank position. I can do 1 minute both sides on the side position. It is really an awesome feeling and workout!