Building muscle is better than losing weight

July 26th, 2008 · 25 Comments

Recently, I was asked to be a team leader for a group of women wanting to lose weight. I’m honored to be asked as I don’t feel like I’ve figured it out yet!! But, I am for sure going to give it my best effort as I would really like to GAIN some muscle and lose the fat as well. For this first post, I’d like to offer up what is working for me. I’d also like to add that I’d rather use the terms “gain muscle” rather than “lose weight”. Sounds so negative. Focusing on what your body needs to move towards rather than losing weight. Measure your waist with a measuring tape (idea I read from Dr. Oz) and focus on the inches lost not actual weight because if you are building muscle you might not see a lot of weight loss.

Random list of things that are working:

*No cream in the coffee

*Brown rice, no pasta

*Foam roller & ab work while children are in the bath tub

*Protein pancakes, egg white omelets for breakfast

*Lifting as much weight that you can handle for 3-4 sets (I need to do more of)

*Interval training- lots of it.

*Organic veggies from local farmers

*Whey protein smoothies with Soy Milk (Vanilla Whey, Vanilla Soy, Banana, Blueberries, Ice, Flax)

*Basic dinners of veggies, chicken or fish and a salad

Readers, this is a comment necessary post: Please post a comment on what IS working for you in the areas of gaining muscle and losing the weight.

Digg!

Digg!

Tags: Nutrition · Yoga, Pilates, Recovery

• 1 workout mommy // Jul 26, 2008 at 4:50 am

sounds like you are doing all the right things! For me right now it is changing up my fitness routine by working out with a kettlebell. I used to do all long, slow cardio and now I’m doing more intensity/short workouts. So far, so good! :)

great ideas, looking forward to more!

• 2 A Mom in Red High Heels // Jul 26, 2008 at 6:54 am

No Starbucks….oh, I don’t know…is it worth it?? ;)

• 3 Mark Salinas // Jul 26, 2008 at 11:57 am

I am in also…..maybe I will be on your team,? My situation is the opposite of workout mommy…my workouts are all high intensity, zone 3 and 4, I do fine in short runs 10k, 15k etc. but struggle in runs of 15 miles to marathons. So I will try to slow it down and do zone 2 lower 3. I am a huge fan of the foam roller….great list.!

• 4 Fit Mommy // Jul 26, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Yes, a lean mean machine is worth it. No, I haven’t given up Starbucks- just switched to iced coffee or tea.

• 5 Fit Mommy // Jul 26, 2008 at 12:05 pm

How are you struggling- with the mileage or heart rate or what?

• 6 running knitter // Jul 26, 2008 at 4:58 pm

6 small meals has worked for me.

• 7 Fitarella // Jul 26, 2008 at 11:07 pm

a few that work for me for me –
    *5 meals/day (each of must have a protein)
    *carrying around a gallon of water )so i can see how much I’m actually drinking)
    *push ups/squats/lunges whenever/wherever I can sneak them in

• 8 bobbi // Jul 26, 2008 at 11:35 pm

well I have always been a runner but about 2 years ago I got in to arobic kickboxing and went down six pant sizes. So as long as I mixed it up and eat out only once a week for date night or an event, I semi to keep it off. I have given up major complex carbs for the past 5 years but I don’t think I could ever give up my creamer:) it’s my vice. I try and eat a protein, carb, and fat with every meal. I have given up dried fruits and only eat one slice of bread when I make a sandwich but pile on the turkey meat( deli only too much sodium in the store bought) and lots of sprouts. I love gold fish too and if you portion them off there actually not bad for you, and now they have wheat ones. I have to say my favorite snack is yogert with cottage chesse mixed together with some flax seed. Ok I know that was a lot but as you can tell I love food, and good food for you!

• 9 MizFit // Jul 27, 2008 at 4:33 pm

shocker that I could ramble forever…email me if you want :)

MANY MEALS A DAY
    starting out eating ever 3 hours by the CLOCK till I trained my belly.

high carb in am and tapering to lower STARCHY cabs as day progresses.

lottsa protein (not necessarily meat)

• 10 MizFit // Jul 27, 2008 at 4:34 pm

and I also echo those who say youre fo’ sho’ on the right track already!

• 11 AndrewE // Jul 28, 2008 at 9:15 pm

I like what you are doing. Lots of little changes. They sure do add up!

• 12 Zandria // Jul 29, 2008 at 6:24 pm

I like that! Definitely saying “Gain muscle” rather than focusing on “Lose weight” sounds like a good plan.

I completely agree with your eating and exercise choices! They’re what I try my best to follow, too. :)

• 13 Strong One // Jul 29, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I like the idea of gaining muscle instead of saying losing weight. Very creative!
    I can’t say I agree with the measuring tape thang.
    I like to measure my progress by how I feel, and how my body looks (to me).

• 14 Karyn // Aug 25, 2008 at 3:22 pm

You’re so right about the strength training. Everytime I let it slip, I start struggling with maintaining and/or losing. I just have to keep telling myself – ‘muscle burns fat, muscle burns fat’. The more muscle I have, the more fat I’ll burn. I have to just make myself do it and overcome the not-running-today guilt.

• 15 LisaN // Oct 14, 2008 at 4:31 am

I just started HIIT. I was sore for the first one (I probably over did it), but I’m looking forward to the next one, which will be on Thursday.

LisaNs last blog post..Bottled or Tap Water?

• 16 Neil // Nov 25, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Muscle weighs more than fat, which effectively means you will actually get heavier rather than lighter.
    After reading some of the frightening ways to achieve “Building Muscle” I will be extremely surprised if more damage isn’t done rather than effective training.
    For a far less aggressive way of achieving muscle check out my website.

• 17 Trevor // Dec 3, 2008 at 1:07 am

i might have to try this out check my blog out! :)

• 18 Jenny // Dec 4, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Great blog! Nice layout, lots useful information. Muscles burn more calorie than any other tissues in the body. I agree it is better than dieting and starving yourself.

• 19 James - On Calorie Shifting Now // Dec 9, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Hi, how are you? I have been dieting for 2 months and I have great success. From my personal experience, any diet works as long as you have perseverance and faith in yourself :)

• 20 Ross Tucker // Dec 10, 2008 at 12:18 am

Great read. Very informative article. It’s nice to see that the I net doesn’t just get spammed.

Here a great site for weight reduction:

• 21 Tony S. // Dec 11, 2008 at 9:25 am

The cyclic ketogenic type of diet will not only let you keep your muscle but also keeps your metabolism from tanking after a few weeks of dieting. I’ve seen friends have great results on cycles of 14 days all the way down to the 2 day cycle for those with absolutely no will :)

A web version of that diet that calculates everything for you and tells you what to eat when, is located here:
    14 Day Cyclic
    Ketogenic Diet

• 22 globalakif // Dec 18, 2008 at 6:35 am

have cucumber. tomato, cabbage, apples, watermelons and all fruits except mangoes and bananas.
    but dont eat JUST raw food. it might help u to lose fast but not permanently. it will definitely bounce back, so get a balanced diet.
    U may try the general motors diet wich includes raw foood to a great extent.
    This program is designed for a target weight loss of 10-17 lbs per week. It will also improve your attitudes and emotions because of its cleansing systematic effects.

The effectiveness of this seven day plan is that the food eaten burn more calories than they give to the body in caloric value.

This plan can be used as often as you like without any fear of complications. It is designed to flush your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well being. After seven days you will begin to feel lighter because you will be lighter by at least 10 lbs. You will have an abundance of energy and an improved disposition.

During the first seven days you must abstain from all alcohol
    You must drink 10 glasses of water each day

Day One – All fruits except bananas. Your first day will consist of all the fruits you want. It is strongly suggested that you consume lots of melons the first day. Especially watermelon and a loupe. If you limit your fruit consumption to melons, your chances of losing three lbs. on first day are very good.

Day Two – All vegetables. You are encouraged to eat until you are stuffed with all the raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. There is no limit on the amount or type. For your complex carbohydrate, you will start day two with a large baked potato for breakfast. You may top the potato with one pat of butter.

Day Three – A mixture of fruits and vegetables of your choice. Any amount, any quantity. No bananas yet. No potatoes today.

Day Four – Bananas and milk. Today you will eat as many as eight bananas and drink three glasses of milk. This will be combined with the special soup which may be eaten in limited quantities.

Day Five – Today is feast day. You will eat beef and tomatoes. Eat two 10 oz. portions of lean beef. Hamburger is OK. Combine this with six whole tomatoes. On day five you must increase your water intake by one quart. This is to cleanse your system of the uric acid you will be producing.

Day Six – Beef and vegetables. Today you may eat an unlimited amount of beef and vegetables. Eat to your hearts content.

Day Seven – Today your food intake will consist of brown rice, fruit juices and all the vegetables you care to consume.

Beverages you may consume while on the program :

Water (flavoured with lemon/lime if desired).
    Club Soda is OK.
    Black Coffee. No cream or cream substitute. No sugar or sweetness.
    Green Tea = Herb or Leaf.
    Absolutely nothing else except the fruit juices which are part of day seven. No fruit juices before day seven

• 23 Len Jay // Dec 24, 2008 at 12:11 am

Hi, After reading this article, I am very impressed that there was no mention to any type of fad or pill induced diets. One should seek out option to attain a realistic weight goal via healthy and respondsible programs. Len http://www.weightlossandhealth1.com

Len Jays last blog post..Quick Weight Loss Diets

• 24 Herbal Infusions // Jan 25, 2009 at 8:04 pm

The great thing about focusing on building muscle rather than losing weight is that they generally go hand in hand. The more muscle mass you have the better (read more efficient) your body is at burning calories throughout the day. Funny, I just blogged about shooting for the same goals on my blog :)

Also if you increase the intake of calorie free beverages such as water and Loose Leaf Tea this will help your body flush toxins and keep you properly hydrated throughout the day.

Herbal Infusionss last blog post..Aloha Obama – A Tea Blend You Can Believe In

• 25 Slim-n-Trim // Feb 6, 2009 at 4:17 am

I get rid of extra calories by sipping cranberry juice. The ascorbic acid in cranberries helps thin liver bile, making it easier for the organ to emulsify fat so it can be quickly flushed out of the sytem rather than stored in cells.

It works for me:)