Fit Mom's Blog header image 1

Finished with your workout? NOT!!

June 19th, 2008 · 7 Comments

So, just because you just ran 5 miles doesn’t mean you are done with your workout! You need to recover properly with good hydration and a stretching routine. If you miss the window immediately following a workout by not hydrating properly, you are basically telling your body that that workout didn’t mean anything!

“In fact, instead of getting stronger, your body will be fighting an uphill battle, struggling to rebuild the muscle tissue and maintain halfway decent immunity.” (Athlete Education Series, P. 1 Hammer Nutrition)

Inappropriate fueling post workout can lead to prolonged muscle soreness, opportunity for getting sick more often, and your muscle tissue doesn’t repair properly.

What happens when you do recover with good nutrition.

1. Storing muscle gylcogen so you have more available

2. Repair and rebuild muscle tissue

3. Maintain strong immune system

Please check out the following article on Hammer’s site. Endurance News #50.

For all of you chocolate milk lovers who think that it is a great recovery drink, it really isn’t. It’s really hard to compare chocolate milk to an actual recovery drink. The statistics don’t line up well. Bottom line, athletes need more protein and carbohydrates than fats immediately following a workout. Hydrate properly post workout with a QUALITY performance recovery drink. (I prefer Hammer- but they are not paying me to say that!)

What do you drink post workout?

It is best that you have the perfect triathlon training schedule to be more effective.

Related Posts

Tags: Nutrition · Running · workout apparel

• 1 MizFit // Jun 19, 2008 at 10:44 am

thanks for the link as (for shame!) Id never heard of Hammer Nutrition (and you KNOW Im all about the refueling properly)

M.

• 2 Fitarella // Jun 19, 2008 at 1:03 pm

the kitchen is the first place i go when i get back from a workout! I make a shake – whey protein, frozen berries, L-Glut & honey

• 3 Strong One // Jun 19, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I stock up on all the H20 I sweated out during my workout. I stick to good ole’ water.
    I keep a ‘To’Go’ oatmeal bar with me in my gym bag, or something comparable.

• 4 Jerry Stearns | GraniteHardBody.com // Jun 19, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for the link.

It looks like there is nice piece of information out there back from October 2001 to May 2008.

• 5 Rachel // Jun 19, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Jerry, Hammer has a VAST amount of FREE knowledge on their site.

Here is another link. http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=ARTICLE&ARTICLE.ID=1278

• 6 Mark Salinas // Jun 20, 2008 at 12:02 am

Great advice…I love the site!

• 7 Sincere // Aug 24, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Thanks. One of my favorite recovery drinks, post-workout, is organic kefir. Combined with fruit, it seems to make me feel much better after a quick, but intense workout.

Kefir also has the right amount of protein:carb ratio “my” body needs, along with some great digestive enzymes to help get those post-workout nutrients to the right places.

I’m starting to find that most “whey” protein shakes don’t feel quite as good, for me, post-workout, as much as they used to. It may be my body telling me to keep as many things I consume, as natural as possible. However, this is what works for me.

Again, great post, and keep delivering the goods : -)