Healthy Eating Sunday: Acai Berry

May 27th, 2008 · 17 Comments

As an athlete, we are always striving for better performance. Generally, if given money and opportunity, we would pursue our goals till we achieved them. Being married to a cyclist, who’s goal is to compete against the Masters racers and be competitive and not just “pack fodder”, he is always looking for the pieces of equipment, training and nutritional supplements that will give him the edge over the local “talent”. For myself, if money and time were not issues, I’d love to pay a coach, nutritionist, massage therapist, to help me get the results I want. But, I am not Oprah, so I will have to do the research and do the best I can with what the time and opportunity that I have.

Mona-Vie, have any of you heard of it? It is an expensive, high quality drink that has been marketed (correctly), I guess, to athletes because of its high nutritional qualities and because it has an outstanding ORAC value of over 1000. My husband tried it for a month and supposedly did better in his bike races than he’s doing now (since we drank it all). Acai Berry is the main ingredient in the drink along with 19 other “super foods” that has been combined to make a 2 ounce drink in the morning and evening a mandatory duty in the lives of many people. I am NOT one of those people. I’d like to steer clear of any commitment to the tune of $30-$40 a bottle!

So being the little researcher that I am, I went to my local health food store to see if the Acai Berry can be purchased on it’s own. Guess what, it can! For as little as $6 you can get 8 smoothie packs of freeze dried Acai berries offered by Sambazon Juice of 6 oranges + 2 bananas + 1 smoothie pack yields 3 large glasses (we all drink it with our protein pancakes- 1/2 cup Oatmeal, 1/4 cottage cheese, cinnamon, 4-6 egg yolks: mix and cook like a regular pancake. Thanks Fitarella for the recipe.)

frozenpure.jpg

The Acai Berry has the highest ORAC value of all fruits. ORAC means Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity. The higher the number, the more antioxidants are circulating in your blood stream to fight the free radicals. You need to eat a diet that is rich in antioxidants for good health.

oracvalues.gif

Image taken from here.

Read more here. The World’s Healthiest Foods site does not list the Acai berry as one of the healthiest foods! In an article, it said that the research on the berry is not completely researched and it is not accessible to the general public. Here is that article. You tell me can you find it in your freezer department? The Sambazon. website lists stores such as Whole Foods, Vons, Kroger, or Juice it Up as retailers so it should be fairly easy to obtain and as always you can purchase online here.

Here is another link for more information on Acai Berry.

Edited for all new mommies regarding nursing and acai berry. This information comes directly from Sambazon (Nov 08).

Acai is considered by ethnobotanists to be a lactagogue and has actually been used by Amazonian mothers to facilitate milk production since beyond recorded history. Please keep in mind that it would be most appropriate to seek out our caffeine free products. Here is a list of all of our products and a delineation of which contain caffeine and which do not.

Smoothies:
Strawberry Samba – no caffeine
Supergreens Revolution – no caffeine
Mango Uprising – no caffeine

Juices:
Original – no caffeine
Antioxidant Trinity – no caffeine
Rio Energy – guarana & yerba mate (yielding about as much caffeine as a cup of tea)

Frozen Smoothie Packs
Original – guarana (yielding about as much caffeine as a cup of decaf coffee)
Pure – no caffeine
Acerola – no caffeine

Sorbets:
Original – guarana (yielding about as much caffeine as a cup of decaf coffee)
Strawberry Samba – no caffeine
Mango Uprising – no caffeine

Whole Foods Acai Powders:
Powercaps – no caffeine
Powerscoop – no caffeine

* All of our products are Certified Organic, Fair Trade, Non GMO, Gluten Free and Vegan.

For more information on the Sambazon Products, here are some related posts:

Acai Berry Puree Recipe

Acai Berry Smoothies by Sambazon

#1 Winner and a Recipe

#2 Winner and another recipe for Acai Berry Bread

Digg!

Digg!

Tags: Nutrition

• 1 Fitarella // May 27, 2008 at 12:42 pm

many people don’t like the taste, but I love it. growing up in brazil my grandma used to make Acai juice for me. very cool, didn’t know you could get them freeze dried! thanks for the tip Rach!

• 2 Playful Professional // May 27, 2008 at 1:21 pm

They’ve got Acai smoothies at Robeks (smoothie place out here) that I love. Great to know they’re healthy too!

• 3 This Week in Babies & Kids Blogs » Smarter Babies & Kids Blog // May 30, 2008 at 7:03 pm

[...] for Mommies gives?us reasons why Acai Berry will help you reach your fitness [...]

• 4 kch // Jun 4, 2008 at 4:43 pm

The Sambazon is really good – and they carry it at Wild Oats so it’s pretty easy to find.

• 5 Jeannine // Jun 16, 2008 at 4:24 am

I drink Monavie and I have to say – the pricetag is negligible compared to the amazing results! Apparently the ORAC value is 10 times greater – and boy do I feel it! I can’t get enough of the stuff – plus the liquid glucosamine does wonders for my joints! P.S. I know where to get it at a discount!

• 6 GAil // Jun 21, 2008 at 9:19 am

I have to say that I was just merely getting by with all the pain meds that my former doctor had me on to be able to manage a semi-normal life until I was introduced to MonaVie. I have been drinking the juice for almost a year now and I am off four of the seven medications that my doctor had me on and I am no longer in need of pain medications for my fibromyalgia or my oseoarthritis. I have numerous other benefits that I have received and continue to recieve on a daily basis because of consuming this wonderful juice beverage. If you ask me, the price of the bottle is far less than all of those prescriptions and other over the counter medications or supplements, including a daily multivitamin, that I no longer have to purchase because of the Mona Vie juice.

I was so impressed by the product that I am now a distributor.

Maybe you should take the product for a longer time before you decide that it isn’t any good and may I also suggest that you do more research into the Mona Vie company and product before you go off and start saying things that might upset other people.

• 7 acai berry // Jun 23, 2008 at 11:25 am

Fantastic article.I found the article very interesting. It has been mentioned elsewhere that people are even using acai for the following conditions, heart disease, Crohn’s, inflammation, high cholesterol, arthritis, diabetes, allergies, eczema and other related conditions.

• 8 Cher // Jul 22, 2008 at 1:46 pm

WHOA! I am totally going to try some of this stuff! I keep hearing about this but had no idea where to find it. Can you just put the freeze dried berries in a smoothie? Like, with non-fat yogurt, or would that not work? Is the Mona Vie the better way to go? Thanks for the info – GREAT SITE here! Thumbs up!!!

• 9 Cher // Jul 23, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Okay – I found the flash frozen Acai at Whole Foods in Houston. There was a woman making the same purchase for her husband. She said he participates in kickboxing fighting and cycling and he uses the Acai in his diet when he needs to drop 30 lbs fast, like in a month. Of course, men’s metabolisms are so much faster than women’s, to begin with.

Also, I purchased the Sambazon freeze dried Acai powder to put in smoothies and stuff.

found both items at Whole Foods in Houston.

• 10 Acai Berry Puree Recipe // Jul 29, 2008 at 4:57 am

[...] this post? Here is another great way to use that Sambazon Acai [...]

• 11 Desiree // Aug 7, 2008 at 7:48 pm

I would like to recommend Monavie. It is absolutely remarkable. My parents, both in their mid-fifties have been drinking 2 ounces a day for about a month now and they have had dramatic improvements in their health. They particularly like the Active formula because it has glucosamine. Check out this site for info and to try this product.

Desirees last blog post..The Acai Berry

• 12 Acai Berry Diet // Aug 25, 2008 at 7:09 am

Do you think they have the same benefit whether eating or taking the pills? What is in an actual acai berry?

Acai Berry Diets last blog post..Oprah’s Superfoods

• 13 lisadeb1989 // Aug 26, 2008 at 4:00 am

The acai berry is a super nutrient rich
    berry found in the Amazon. it must be picked and freeze dried at the source to maintain it’s nutrients. Be careful, there are alot of insrtant rage type versions of acai berry juices, pills and the like.
    Check out my 19 ingredient described post at http://naturallypotent.wordpress.com/ If you Google ACAI you will find wonderful, scientific and all the rage articles. I did alot of research and am very happy with my choice of juice blend and the results I’ve had personally. others you can see also are enjoying this natural alternative. Feel free to contact me with any questions
    whatever your interest. here’s the 19 blend site http://naturallypotent.wordpress.com/ this page also has several links on it. my personal story page is being tweaked
    but should be up and going Tues 8/26.

lisadeb1989@gmail.com

• 14 Acai Berry Smoothies by Sambazon // Sep 3, 2008 at 4:36 am

[...] easy to obtain at your local grocery store or online. I’ve previously written about Sambazon here and as a family, we have thoroughly enjoyed all the Sambazon products. Haven’t tried this [...]

• 15 Acai Berry // Sep 6, 2008 at 7:35 pm

I like that ORAC chart. Nice visual of just how powerful Acai is compared to other foods.

• 16 Candice’s Weight Loss » Blog Archive » Weight Loss Resources & Articles // Dec 15, 2008 at 4:12 am

[...] Read Full Article [...]

• 17 Sambazon Returns for a Giveaway! // Nov 22, 2009 at 5:17 pm

[...] May of 2008, I wrote my first post about Sambazon here.  At the time, I was excited to find Sambazon available in smoothie packs for $6 that yields [...]